There are many things that need immediate attention before I move in!
With its pretty views out across the woods and hills beyond, this house was a bargain, but as the list below shows, most bargains require their fair share of work.
- New Roof
- New gutters
- Replace support columns to the front porch. Currently the only thing holding up the roof is the rainspout!
- Deal with the likelihood of asbestos in the external cladding materials (roofing and siding) 😦
- Overhaul the hot water system
- New bathroom
- New kitchen
- Get the gas connected to the house (there are no pipes)
- Re-wire the electrics
- Fix the back porch
- Fix water damaged internal ceilings
- Re-join the interior plasterboard/replace drywalls
- Create a laundry
- Remove water damaged carpet
- Add built in cupboards for storage
- Build a garage to replace rusty carport
- Remove old tumble-down asbestos garden shed
- New stair case to the front
- New balustrades
- Grade the driveway so a car can actually use it
- Fix the gate to the carport
- Add new siding and joinery
- Insulate the roof
- Add a fireplace and ducted heating/cooling
Luckily the cottage is small. It is only approx. 1100 square foot internally which makes all of the work manageable, but with a budget of only $70,000 this will still be a challenge!